Mavnn's blog

Stuff from my brain

We're running Building Solid Systems in F# in London, 31 Jan - 1 Feb 2018. High quality training for building .NET Core, F#, distributed production ready systems.

Coding Hygiene: Moving From Project References to NuGet Dependencies

So, first post with the new blogging engine. Let's see how it goes.

Our code base at 15below started it's life a fair while ago, well before any form of .NET package management became practical. Because of that, we ended up building a lot of code in 'lockstep' with project references in code as there was no sensible way of taking versioned binary dependencies.

That's fine and all, but it encourages bad code hygiene: rather than having sharply defined contracts between components, if you've got them all open in the same solution it becomes far too tempting to just nudge changes around as it's convenient at the time. Changes can infect other pieces of code, and the power of automatic refactoring across the entire solution becomes intoxicating.

The result? It becomes very hard to do incremental builds (or deployments, for that matter). This in turn makes for a long feed back cycle between making a change, and being able to see it rolled out to a testing environment.

So as part of the ongoing refactoring that any long lived code base needs to keep it maintainable and under control, we've embarked on the process of splitting our code down into more logically separated repositories that reference each other via NuGet. This will require us to start being much more disciplined in our semantic versioning than we have been in the past, but will also allow us to build and deploy incrementally and massively reduce our feed back times.

As part of splitting out the first logical division (I'd like to say domain but we're not there yet!), I created the new repository and got the included assemblies up and building on TeamCity. It was only then (stupidly) that I realised that we had several hundred project references to these assemblies in our code. There was no way I was going to update them all by hand, so after a few hours development we now have a script for idempotently updating a project reference in a [cs|vb|fs]proj file to a NuGet reference. It does require you to do one update manually first; especially with assemblies that are strongly signed, I chickened out of trying to generate the reference nodes that needed to be added automatically. The script also makes sure that you end up with a packages.config file with the project that includes the new dependency.

It should be noted that this script has only seen minimal testing, was coded up for one time use and does not come with a warranty of any kind! Use at your own risk, and once you understand what it's doing. But for all that, I hope you find it useful.

Comments